Have you decided to take the step and opt for zero-waste periods? You just have to find the alternative to the pad that best meets your needs and expectations. There is no need to worry: our guide is here to help you!
1. THE CUP HAS THE WIND IN ITS SAILS!
The first popular alternative: the Menstrual Cup. Made of silicone, it is simply placed inside the vagina to collect the blood. Just wash it after emptying it during your cycle and boil it at the end of your period. Easy, no?
The advantages of the menstrual cup…
By opting for the cup, you enjoy a zero-waste alternative that offers you:
- Super fast and easy maintenance
- An invisible ally: it’s the eco-friendly tampon alternative if you’re looking for internal protection
- Swimming with total peace of mind, without leaving a scarlet wake to prevent curious people (or sharks) from tracking you…
And you take care of these sharks and their habitat with this zero-waste alternative to disposable sanitary protection, which will last up to 10 years!
… and its disadvantages
Although this tampon alternative is quite practical, it also has some downsides:
- The application requires an adjustment period before mastering the insertion and removal with total ease.
- The structure of the cup doesn’t necessarily embrace all body types: it may therefore cause discomfort in the lower abdomen, especially during moments of cramping or when you feel more bloated.
- You shouldn’t keep it in too long (about 6 hours, according to recommendations from gynecologists): it therefore can’t be your only protection, especially if you like to sleep longer than 6 hours!
- Small leaks are still common, and the use of an additional panty liner is often necessary.
Want to know more? You’ll find all the answers you need in our Menstrual cup Guide.
2. DON’T THROW AWAY THE PAD. BUY WASHABLE PADS!
For zero-waste periods, it’s possible to reduce the ecological impacts of traditional menstrual products. If you find tampons or the cup irritating and you’re looking for an alternative to the disposable pad, the reusable pad is made for you! It can be inserted directly into your Mme L’Ovary’s period panties and it’s easy to wash.
The advantages of washable pads…
- They are super easy to use and replace.
- They are a sustainable alternative to disposable pads.
- There is no need to change your habits during your menstrual flow; they protect you as well as conventional pads.
Made of cloth, they don’t itch. In addition, there are even removable pads made of organic undyed cotton for more sensitive people. Finally, a chemical-free pad!
…and their downsides
- They can sometimes move around,
- Walking around with your used pads in your bag might seem a little strange, but again, if you opt for Mme L’Ovary, it’s no longer a disadvantage! Each pair of panties comes in a carrying bag to make it easier to manage used vs. clean pads.
- You need to wash them,but this is an easy habit to adopt!
3. DARE TO BE CHEEKY!
If the cup seems uncomfortable and you’re tired of pads that move around, Mme L’Ovary’s period panties are the solution. They are super absorbent, and they are a comfortable alternative to the pad.
The advantages of period panties
Mme L’Ovary panties combine the comfort of menstrual panties with the practicality of replaceable pads:
- With their removable pads removable panty liners to get undressed to change panties.
- They stay in place without pressure and don’t move when you exercise! It’s the perfect alternative to the regular pad.
- They’re cute: finally, a period where you can feel pretty!
- They’re made of cotton that’s as soft as it is comfortable.
They aren’t as discreet as tampons and are slightly thicker than everyday panties, since they are absorbent. They also need a prewash, but can easily be washed by hand or in the washing machine. Learn how to use washable menstrual underwear.
READY TO EXPERIENCE YOUR PERIOD DIFFERENTLY?
The alternatives to disposable tampons and sanitary pads abound: it’s easy to take action for your body and the planet! Say goodbye to odours, waste, and irritation! Finally find the solution that will reconcile you with your period.